Friday, January 20, 2012

Magical Poofy Pancake

If you have never tried one of these wonders known as Puffy Pancakes, German Pancakes, Dutch Babies, or my favorite, Poofy Pancakes, you MUST try them!  I had a bunch of excuses that kept putting them off for me...they didn't look tasty, they looked to hard, etc. etc. etc.  I can tell you with 100% certainty, they are FREAKING FABULOUS and seriously one of the easiest things in the world to cook.  The kiddos think there is a bit of magic that goes into them...of course that may be because I say some magic words with a flick of my wrist before putting them in the oven. 
You can top these with maple syrup, fruit, or my absolute favorite LIQUID GOLD.  Can I just say, if you haven't tried Liquid Gold, please, please, PLEASE try that one soon too.  In fact, just to pressure you some more, I will include that on at the end of this post.

Magical Poofy Pancake
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 TBSP sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 TBSP butter, cut into 1 TBSP increments

Place butter in a 9x13 dish and place in the oven while preheating the oven to 400 degrees.  Once the butter is melted, remove from oven until all the way preheated. 
Place the eggs, milk, flour, salt, sugar, and vanilla in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Pour the batter into the baking dish over the melted butter.  Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
See, told you...easy peasy!

Liquid Gold
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick)  butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp maple flavoring (found with all the extract flavors in the baking aisle)

In a medium pot over medium-high heat (you need enough room for this to boil), bring all ingredients to a rolling boil for 2-3 minutes. Watch very carefully so the mixture does not over boil all over your stove.

This recipe was linked up to:
This Chick Cooks
Tidy Mom
Country Cook
Simply Sweet Home

6 comments:

  1. I have made a puffy pancake but I was missing out without this liquid gold you speak of!! Looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made both! The pancake was good, but the liquid gold was earth shattering!! I will never buy pancake syrup again! Thanks for a delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I've made this Liquid Gold three times now and OMG! It is SO good! I tried giving regular old store-bought syrup to my kids last weekend and they hated my breakfast! But I made the Liquid Gold again this morning and they scarfed their pancakes down before mine were cooked! This is now a must in our house for Sunday breakfast. :). Thanks, Siggy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not tried the liquid gold, but have been making this pancake at least twice a month for the past 8 years for my hubby. We do an easy topping of powder sugar followed by a generous squeeze of lemon on top. No syrup, nothing else fancy. Love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. puff up pancakes we make these all the time. however i use 1/2 cup butter. BTW: yours look perfect.

    ReplyDelete