Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs Chicken....a copycat recipe

It seems the older I get, the more unimpressed I get with restaurant food.  The concept is good, but somehow the execution just isn't there.  More often than not, I end up leaving a restaurant thinking "I could have made that".  So, it should come as no surprise that I love copycat recipes.  Can I just say, this was one tasty chicken dish!  I mean come on, what is not to love...chicken in a delightful honey mustard marinade that makes it insanely juicy, sauteed mushrooms, bacon, cheese?!?!  Also, as impressive as the dish seems, it is surprisingly easy to put together. 

Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs Chicken
Recipe Slightly Adapted From:  A Treasury of Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur
  • 4 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breasts
  • 3 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
  • 2 cups sliced mushrooms (10-12)
  • 2 TBSP Butter
  • 1 clove garlic
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 8 slices bacon, cooked
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
For the Honey Mustard Marinade
  • 1/2 cup Dijon Mustard
  • 1/2 cup Honey
  • 1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice
Whisk together the Honey Mustard Marinade ingredients either by hand, hand mixer, or blender until well combined.
Place defrosted Chicken Breasts into a gallon-sized Ziploc bag and pour 2/3 of the marinade over top, making sure all the chicken gets covered by sauce.  Place remaining 1/3 Honey Mustard Marinade in the refrigerator.  Once it is nearing the end of the marinating time, cook your bacon and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
In a skillet over medium heat, heat up 2 TBSP of the Olive Oil.  Sear the chicken 3-4 minutes per side and remove to a baking dish. DISCARD Ziploc bag with marinade!
While the chicken is searing, heat Butter and reserved Olive Oil in a saute pan.  Add sliced mushrooms and allow to saute until soft and brown.  Near the end of the saute time, add Garlic Clove and cook until fragrant.
Once in the baking dish, brush each chicken breast with some of the reserved Honey Mustard Sauce, saving any leftover for serving if desired.  Stack 2 slices of bacon on each chicken breast, creating an "X".  Spoon the mushroom mixture onto the bacon, making sure to coat each breast evenly.  Spread 1/4 cup Monterey Jack Cheese and 1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese on top of the mushrooms. 
Bake the chicken for 8-10 minutes.
ENJOY!!!

This recipe has been linked up at:
Tidy Mom
Simply Sweet Home
This Chick Cooks
Eat at Home

5 comments:

  1. I'm made this a few times before and I think it's really good! I like to serve it with some fries and a salad to really capture that restaurant experience at home. Now if I could only find a recipe for that brown bread...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite from outback! I can't wait to try it! I have one of Todd Wilbur's books, but it must be a different one, because this recipe is not in it. I linked to you from These Chicks Cooked. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIPPEEEEE you posted it!! : ) I will be making this ASAP .. without the mushrooms though. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete