Monday, June 20, 2011

Shirley Temple Cupcakes

Kiddo C celebrated her 7th birthday this weekend.  Where does the time go?!  I have to remember to stop blinking.  (((sigh)))  It is no secret to those who know her, how much she loves cherries.  I mean, she loves, loves, LOVES them.  So, it should be no surprise that her favorite drink is a Shirley Temple.  So, for my little Peanut, my sweet Freckle-Face, my wee-cherry-loving Pixie's birthday, I give you Shirley Temple Cupcakes!

Shirley Temple Cupcakes
  • 1 box white cake mix
  • 1 1/4 cup Sprite, Sierra Mist, or 7-Up (again, please DO NOT use diet!)
  • 3 TBSP Grenadine Syrup
  • 3 egg whites
  • 2 TBSP vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp Cherry Extract (optional, just for a little extra oompf of cherry-lovin')
  • 1 jar (10 oz) of Maraschino Cherries, drained and chopped
  • 24 extra Maraschino Cherries, patted dry for garnish
  • Favorite vanilla-y frosting.  Truth be told, I just used jarred Vanilla Whipped icing  (((GASP)))

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place 24 cupcake liners into standard muffin tin.
Combine cake mix, soda of choice, Grenadine Syrup, egg whites, vegetable oil, and cherry extract with a hand mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
Fold in chopped bits of Maraschino Cherry.  Pour cake mix into cupcake papers, evenly distributing among them.  Bake for 21-24 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.  Top with additional cherry for garnish.  ENJOY!

This recipe has been linked up at:
This Chick Cooks
Tidy Mom
Simply Sweet Home
Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms
Eat at Home

13 comments:

  1. Siggy - this is the cutest cupcake. I love what you used it in it. Grenadine Syrup?? Genius! I bet she loved it!! Happy birthday pretty girl with your absolutely adorable pixie hair!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww these are darling cupcakes! Shirley Temple drinks remind me of being a kid.... AND guess what! My Dad lived next door to the REAL Shirley Temple when he was a child. It was a suburb in San Fransisco called Atherton park! My Grandpa was a dentist so they had lots of money and lived in that really rich area. Cool huh!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tell you these are just too cute. I always pretend to think cupcakes are silly but your pictures really bring out their charm. I love the cherry and sprinkles--takes me back to childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good. I love this idea! Please come over to my link party and share some of your tasty recipes with us at Cast Party Wednesday. http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These remind me of Cupcake wars that I just saw over the weekend. Your cupcakes are every bid as pretty as theirs were and your sound divine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm shirley temples! Haven't had one in forever, think I'll have to make these cupcakes and make some drinks for my kiddos! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Shirley Temples! I haven't had one in forever! Can't wait to try these out :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are the cutest cupcakes! I love the idea of a Shirley Temple cupcake! I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/06/sweet-indulgences-sunday-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. What cute cupcakes! Great idea! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are adorable and bring me right back to childhood, I loved Shirley Temples!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are the best! Trust me debating wether to cook or go out,her food will totaly win that bet!Trust meeeeeeeeeeee....its the best,I ♥ it so much i have it every single night!

    feel better soon mom
    L♥ve your bug

    ReplyDelete
  12. feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love cherries! These look really yummy. And grenadine syrup? That sounds good, too!

    I'd love for you to link this and any other cupcake post you have at the month long Cupcake Link Party!

    Cheers,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete