Monday, March 14, 2011

HEALTHY Peanut Butter Balls


Allergy season is quickly approaching in this neck of the woods.  Last year was our first spring here in the ol' NC, and I had heard that the allergies could be pretty hard to take.  So, we went to the farmers market and got some local honey and had the kiddos eating it right away.  Buying local honey is a great way to introduce your body to the local pollen so your body can start to build immunity against it before it goes full blown yellow gunk all over the place.  The kiddos sailed through allergy season without so much as a sniffle.  Hubs and I on the other hand, were sick as dogs!  Since we had never had allergies before, we didn't think we needed to partake on the local honey.  Boy were we wrong!  So this year, we are taking no chances and went to the farmers market and bought a HUGE container of honey.  We have been sneaking it in everywhere! 
This recipe is a super yummy, HEALTHY way to get a big-ol'-dose-o-honey.  My kiddos (and hubs and I too) absolutely LOVED them!  Even if you don't have to worry about allergies, these are such a great alternative to cookies or pre-packaged snack bars. 

HEALTHY Peanut Butter Balls
Recipe slightly adapted from Mommy's Kitchen
  • 1 cup Honey
  • 1-½ cup Creamy Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
  • 2-½ cups Powdered Dry Milk
  • 3 cups Quick Cooking Oatmeal, Uncooked
  • 2 TBSP toasted Wheat Germ
  • 2 TBSP Ground Flax Seed
  • ½ cups Mini Chocolate Chips, Raisins, or both (optional)

Mix all the ingredients together with hand mixer. Form into golf ball sized balls with your hands and freeze on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper until firm. Remove from the freezer and store in a large Ziploc bag in the refrigerator.

This recipe has been linked up at:
Simply Sweet Home
Tidy Mom
Crazy Domestic
Alli n Son

8 comments:

  1. Very nice recipe!! We would gobble these up in a day!! lol
    I love honey so I'm constantly slathering it on biscuits and carrots with honey (and a lil bit of brown sugar and maple syrup...lol).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great reason to eat honey, and they sound delicious too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good... almost like eating frozen cookie dough! Um, not that I would ever eat frozen cookie dough;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer to eat honey than take allergy medicine, as well, and I think it works wonders. And it tastes *so* good. I never knew how much I loved peanut butter and honey until the husband got me eating it; now I'm hooked. Your peanut butter balls look like they'd be a huge hit in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So easy! And such healthy ingredients, love that.

    I'd like to invite you to share this recipe with my linky, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there.
    http://alli-n-son.com/2011/03/17/soft-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! This looks like a great recipe! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! This is just what I need for an after school snack for the girls. Thanks!
    ~Lia
    www.fivelittleladies.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've tried something similar before, but I can tell this recipe is MUCH better!! I have a feeling I'll be making these a lot. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete