Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Bangers and Mash - Recipe Rewind


For the last several years, on St. Patrick's Day, we would have Corned Beef and Cabbage. Every evening as I would scrape all the uneaten food off of the kiddos plates, I wondered why I bothered....they didn't like corned beef and they certainly did not like cabbage. So this year, I thought I would try a different meal for the Irish celebration...enter Bangers and Mash. Bangers and Mash is a fun way to say sausage and mashed potatoes, both of which would be a hit with the kiddos. To take it up another notch, I made the Bangers in an Onion Guinness Sauce and added some Kale to the mashed potatoes to give it that festive flair. So, if you are looking for a tasty and quick meal for St. Patrick's Day, go get some Bangers and Mash away!


Bangers and Mash - Siggy Spice Style
  • 2 TBSP vegetable oil
  • 2 TBSP butter
  • 6 Irish Bangers. I found mine at Trader Joe's!
  • 1 cup diced onion. About 1/2 large onion.
  • 1/4 cup Guinness beer
  • 1 TBSP flour
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 1/2 TBSP Dijon Mustard
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 5-6 servings of your favorite mashed potatoes. Your choice, make them from scratch or instant.
  • 1/2 cup Kale, rinsed and chopped in manageable bites
In a skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and butter and heat until butter is melted. Brown your Irish Bangers until crispy on both sides. Add chopped onion and allow to cook with sausage until soft and slightly browned. Add Guinness beer to de-glaze pan, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Sprinkle flour over the onions in pan and stir to coat, cook just until lightly browned. Add beef broth, stir to combine. Add Dijon mustard, whisk to combine and lower heat to medium-low. Cover pan and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. If you need to thicken your sauce a little more, simply add a TBSP of cornstarch to 1/4 cup cold water and whisk into sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.
Please know that I am totally not going to tell you how to make your mashed potatoes, nor will I judge you either way. YOU know how you and your family likes them. If you are making from scratch, add the chopped Kale to the water the last 5 minutes you are boiling your potatoes, then continue making as your normally would. If you are making instant, simply add the Kale to the water as you are bringing it to boil.
ENJOY!

This recipe has been linked up at:
Simply Sweet Home
Tidy Mom
Crazy Domestic

5 comments:

  1. That looks incredible! That's my kind of St. Patrick's Day meal! Unfortunately, my husband is a corned beef and cabbage fan, so that's what I'll be making on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like corned beef and cabbage here, but I saw Bangers at Trader Joes and couldn't resist getting them. So we may have two Irish meals this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fixed these tonight, and my husband and son LOVED it! So I had to write about it on my blog, although my photos aren't nearly as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yummy. This looks like the perfect comfort food. I will have to try this :)

    ReplyDelete