Monday, February 28, 2011

Skillet Chili Mac with Corn and Green Chilies


Prepare for some one-pot lovin'.  This recipe is simply amazing and scrumptious!  As I am writing this, my mouth is literally watering remembering all the flavors and texture of this dish.  Just like many my meals as of late, this is simple, easy, fast, and healthy!  Make this soon and ENJOY!

Skillet Chili Mac with Corn and Green Chilies
recipe slightly adapted from My Tasty Treasures (who adapted from My Kitchen Cafe, who adapted from Cook's Illustrated)  WHEW, that was a mouthful!
  • 1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 pound ground turkey or ground beef
  • 1 medium sized onion, minced
  • 1 TBSP chili powder
  • 1 TBSP cumin
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 TBSP brown sugar
  • 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
  • 2 cups water
  • 8 ounces (2 cups) elbow macaroni, I used Barilla Plus
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 can (4.5 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
  • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 2 cups shredded cheese (I used 2 % cheddar jack but you can use pepper jack or a Mexican shredded cheese blend)

Heat oil in a deep skillet medium heat. Add the ground turkey or beef, onion, chili powder, cumin and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook the meat until it is no longer pink. Drain off any excess fat or grease (the amount will depend on how lean your meat is). Stir in garlic and brown sugar and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato sauce, water, and macaroni. Cover and cook, stirring often and keeping the heat at a steady simmer, until the macaroni is tender, about 12–14 minutes.
Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, frozen corn, green chilies and cilantro and sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheese over the top. Cover and let sit off the heat until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes.

This recipe has been linked up at:
Tidy Mom
Simply Sweet Home
Crazy Domestic
Mommy's Kitchen
Eat at Home

6 comments:

  1. I could really go for some comfort food today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! And it has all the ingredients my kid loves. He has actually been more open to foods that have a little kick in them too. And it's all in one pot which Momma loves...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am putting this on my grocery list! Im so excited to try it! My kids are gonna love it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No doubt I would love this, Infact might have to make it for the weekend...or a vacation we have coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cooked this for dinner tonight and it was a hit. Next time, I will add a jalapeno for more heat. There are so many more recipes on your blog I'm going to try. Keepem coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great. I am a new follower. I stumbled onto your blog when I did a search for Chili Mac. This looks great! Hope you stop by my blog and join if you like! Thanks!

    Have A Happy Halloween,
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete