Wednesday, August 18, 2010

GIANT Cookie

School is ready to start again (((sigh)))
Seems like just yesterday, we were having our end-of-year celebration.  For that celebration, I went a wee overboard and made a GIANT cookie.  I topped this bad boy with scoops of vanilla ice cream, hot fudge and caramel sauce, whipped cream, and of course cherries.  (Note to self, take a picture of the final product BEFORE setting it on a table with kiddos clutching their spoons and a crazed look in their eye...)  This was SO fun to all share the platter-o-yum together.  However, I think next time I do it, I will make 2 medium cookies and freeze one right away, because we ended up throwing quite a bit out once the ice cream got all melty.
Surprise your kiddos and bake this bad boy up for a back-to-school celebration.  You can slice it like a pizza or top it with ice cream...either way, they will LOVE it!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter (one stick), melted and cooled slightly
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1-1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, cream together the sugars and butter. Add the egg and mix. Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Line a large (11X17-inch) baking pan with foil and press the cookie into a circle. Press cookie into a 9-inch circle, about 1/4 to 3/8-inch thick. When it bakes, it spreads to about 11 inches, which fits perfectly onto a 12-inch round cardboard circle you can find at most craft stores.  I used my 10" spring form pan to bake in and that seemed to work great for me.
If desired, top the cookie with M&M’s or any other garnishes.
Bake for 13-16 minutes until the cookie is lightly golden brown. Let the cookie cool completely on the baking pan.


Recipe Source:  Tasty Kitchen member Melanie

6 comments:

  1. I love this!!!! Such a good mommy you are! I too have forgotten to take a pic before I put the dish/dessert on the table and the troops attack it....oh well! - live and learn!

    Yummy yummy cookie! Happy Back to School Darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum yum! Although, I am more of an icing girl. I would cover that cooking in icing like they do at the cookie stores. mmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. A platter-o-yum for sure! Bet it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't remind me, I'm a teacher! I wish someone would bake me a huge cookie for back to school. :) Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fun dessert! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete