Saturday, March 20, 2010

Beer Battered Onion Rings


Tonight for dinner, my Hubby Love grilled his signature burgers and famous BBQ beans. They are a story for another day because, well, I still have some bribing, begging, and nagging to do before he will divulge his secret recipe. (((sigh)))

ANYWAY, in an attempt to get in the kitchen so I could do some super spy work, I had to come up with a side that wasn't throwing french fries on a cookie sheet and baking in the oven. Oh no, I needed something different. Enter Beer Battered Onion Rings! Unfortunately for me, I think he was onto me because he mixed together his good eats while my eyes were burning and tearing from slicing onions. He is a clever one I tell you!
Now, I don't know why I thought onion rings would be a huge hassle to make, but they weren't! They were super simple to prepare and tasted better than anything I have tried in restaurants. The batter was light and crispy and it actually stayed on the onion ring instead of falling off like thicker batters tend to do.

Do yourself a favor and whip up a batch of these bad boys!


Ingredients:
  • 4 cups canola oil
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 medium to large sweet yellow onions
  • 2 cups flour, divided
  • 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp granulated garlic
  • 12 ounces medium bodied beer
  • couple dashes hot sauce, optional
  • 3 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese

Peel onions and slice 1/4-1/2 inch thick and separate into rings and soak in buttermilk for 1 hour.

In a dutch oven or electric skillet, heat oil to 350 degrees.

In a shallow baking dish, whisk together 1 cup of flour, salt, pepper, and garlic. In a separate bowl, combine remaining cup of flour, beer, and optional hot sauce, whisking until no lumps are present.

Remove onion rings from buttermilk, shake off excess then dredge in dry flour mixture. Shake off excess dry mixture, then dip in beer batter. Add a few onion rings to oil, being careful to not overcrowd them or they will stick together. When they are golden brown remove to a paper towel lined plate. Repeat process until all onion rings are battered and fried. Sprinkle with Parmesan.

ENJOY!



Recipe adapted from Guy Fieri

This recipe was brought to Sunday Potluck at Mommy's Kitchen

3 comments:

  1. I will not let my husband see these. if he did he would want me in the kitchen right now cookin them at 9:31 pm. And I have to say while the must be delicious, beer battered onion rings at 9:30 Pm is not so good for my hips and ass! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make these using pancake batter, so simple and so delicious! Just bought Batter Blaster tonight, hmmmm....might have to try that too.

    ReplyDelete