Monday, February 1, 2010

Honey Lime Enchiladas


As promised in the recipe for the Siggy Spice Up Your Life Mushroom Salsa, here are the Honey Lime Enchiladas! Now, before we go on, I must introduce you to a word you will become quite familiar with on Siggy Spice, TWEAKING. Yes, I am a tweaker, only slightly resembling Tweek from Southpark. AAARGH!!! (((twitch, twitch))) I can't leave well enough alone, I like to add a little here and there to certain recipes to put my spin on them, my tweak if you will. AAARGH!!! (((twitch, twitch))) Ok, enough Southpark impersonations, I don't think it is translating to paper well.

Onto the recipe! I originally saw this recipe on The Sisters Cafe blog and after my tweak, here you have it! It makes more than 1 dish worth, especially the enchilada sauce. I made one dish worth, tossed the remaining enchilada sauce away and am using the remaining seasoned chicken for a salad and quesadillas today. This is an easy, yummy, and kiddo friendly dish. It is a bright and flavorful twist on normal enchiladas. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Honey Lime Enchiladas

Ingredients

  • 1.5 pounds cooked and shredded chicken or pork
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 TBSP honey
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 TBSP lime juice
  • 1 TBSP chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 TBSP finely chopped cilantro
  • 2 (10 oz) cans green enchilada sauce
  • equal amounts shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese, mixed together
  • flour tortillas
  • dollop of sour cream
In a small bowl, mix together the honey, lime juice, chili powder, garlic powder, and chopped cilantro. Stir to combine. Place that marinade mixture in a gallon sized ziploc bag. Add the shredded choice of meat and shake to coat all of the meat with all of the mixture. Marinade for as long as you can. If you only have 30 minutes, that is ok. If you can have it sitting in your fridge for a couple hours, that is great too!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
To assemble, pour enough green enchilada sauce just to cover a 13 x 9 baking pan that you have sprayed with non-stick spray. Fill the flour tortillas with desired amount of meat mixture, top with desired amount of cheddar and mozzarella cheese, roll up and place in baking dish.
In a medium bowl, mix together remaining enchilada sauce, a dollop (heaping TBSP) of sour cream, and all the left over marinade from the bag. Since this marinade was sitting in cooked meat, it is totally ok to use. There may not be much of it left, but even a little bit will help tie in the flavors.
Top enchiladas with green sauce, as I said, you probably won't use all of it. I never like to tell people how much cheese they like, so, sprinkle as much cheddar/mozzarella cheese mix as your little heart desires on top.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes until warm and bubbly. Turn on your broiler at the end just to crisp and brown up the cheese.
Take a bite, put down your fork and let out a good AAARGH!!! (((twitch, twitch))). Sorry, had to do it one more time.

This recipe has been linked up at:
Eat at Home
This Chick Cooks

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to tell you I started to make these enchiladas, but they never made it that far! I marinated the chicken and it was SO good. I added a can of drained black beans. We put it on nachos for lunch. Then, I made quesadillas that night for dinner, because it's easier than making enchiladas. Thanks for the quick and delish marinade idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO glad you liked it! I think the meat rocks and it would be yummy on a southwest cobb salad too!

    ReplyDelete